Ginger Tamarind BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
Shortcut: Use Bar-B-Que Jackfruit and jazz it up with ginger & tamarind to make this recipe with fewer ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ inch piece fresh ginger grated
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ cup tamarind concentrate
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 10.6oz package Upton’s Naturals Original Jackfruit or 1 package of Lightly Seasoned Shredded Jackfruit
- Squeeze of lime
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- Sriracha sauce to taste
- 4 burger buns
Bar-B-Que Jackfruit, Original Jackfruit, Shredded Jackfruit
- To prepare the barbecue sauce, Heat the sesame oil over low heat in medium saucepan. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the fresh ginger, tomato paste, soy sauce, ground ginger, tamarind, and brown sugar, and stir until smooth. Slowly pour in the water and apple cider vinegar, stirring constantly. Simmer until the brown sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to bubble. Add the jackfruit and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the squeeze of lime juice. Remove from heat.
- Mix the vegan mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl, adding more sriracha if you prefer more heat.
- Toast the burger buns, and spread a thin layer of sriracha mayo on both sides. Add a scoop of barbecue jackfruit. Serve with coleslaw, fries, and/or a side salad.