Sweet And Smoky Jackfruit Jibarito
You can't beat the combo of sweet and smoky jackfruit on a yummy plantain bun.
- 2 large green unripe plantains
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package Upton’s Naturals Original Jackfruit or 1 package of Lightly Seasoned Shredded Jackfruit
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 4 leaves lettuce
- ½ small onion thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato sliced
Original Jackfruit, Shredded Jackfruit
- Evenly slice each plantain in half lengthwise, and then slice in half widthwise. You’ll have 8 pieces between the 2 plantains, which will make 2 full sandwiches or 4 half sandwiches.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, cast iron if possible. Pan fry the plantain slices, 2-4 pieces at a time, depending on the size of your skillet, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Smash each plantain piece between the underside of two flat plates to make each slice of “bread” for your sandwiches—essentially large tostones.
- Pan fry the smashed plantains again, 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, add the jackfruit ingredients to a skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Cook 8-10 minutes, using two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks.
- To make the garlic oil, place 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a pan over medium heat, then add the garlic. Pan fry until golden, then add the rest of the oil and stir for 10-15 seconds, then remove from heat.
- To assemble, spread an even amount of vegan mayonnaise on the inside of each tostone. Add 1/4 of the jackfruit to each bottom half; top with lettuce, onion, and tomato; and top with the remaining plantains. Serve with garlic oil.