Sweet & Smoky Jackfruit BLT
The classic BLT gets a super vegan makeover with the addition of Bacon Seitan and jackfruit!
- 4 French rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 package Upton’s Naturals Bacon Seitan
Sweet and Smoky Jackfruit:
- 1 package Upton’s Naturals Original Jackfruit or 1 package of Lightly Seasoned Shredded Jackfruit
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 4 leaves lettuce or kale
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 slices fresh or pickled red onion
Bacon Seitan, Original Jackfruit, Shredded Jackfruit
- Slice open each roll and toast, cut side down, in a dry skillet over medium-high heat.
- Heat the oil in the hot skillet, and pan fry the Bacon Seitan for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
- Mash up the jackfruit while still inside the package until it has a shredded texture. Open the package into a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the Jackfruit, tomato puree, water, oil, nutritional yeast, Bragg Liquid Aminos, maple syrup, onion powder, liquid smoke, paprika and salt. Cook 8-10 minutes until heated through and starting to caramelize.
- To assemble, spread 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise on the toasted sides of the rolls. Add 1/4 of the jackfruit to the bottom half, then place the lettuce or kale on top, followed by 2-3 strips of bacon, and a tomato slice. Add the red onion on top, then place the top half of the roll on the sandwich.